Sunday, August 16, 2009

We're Not In Kansas Anymore, Toto!

That's what I felt like on Friday when I told my 6th period class to put their books up and line up at the door before the bell rang. One of my not so small 10th graders said "miss, that's what elementary kids do, we're high schoolers." (They don't call you Mrs. Whitehead or Mr. Jones, they call you Miss or Coach and the only thing I can figure out is it's cultural-they are all African American 'street' kids.) I guess we are lucky to be called something nice. Anyway, high schoolers they are indeed and I'm loving every minute of it. For the first time in two years, I'm actually motivated to get up and get to work becuase I can see my good deeds working on a minute by minute basis. Anything you do for them, other than telling them to line up, is appreciated it seems. It's nice to be somewhere where what you are actually doing is needed and appreciated. Not like some of those high and mighty claim to be Methodists around these parts. Ok, Ok I shouldn't have said that and obviously I'm still really struggling with that. I need to pray more about it I guess. God has been so good to us and I need to just be thankful instead of holding grudges. But their actions still amaze me when I think about it. Ok, Ok, I'm really done with that now, that wasn't even on my mind when I started typing. The devil just sneaks right on in doesn't he.

Well, Miss Erin started 5 year olk kindergarten last Thursday and I was so sad about it, but she seems to be doing fine. Chris said she went right in, put her backpack up, sat down, and told Chris and Leslie to be on their way, she was fine! Ha! I'm sure it helps that Leslie is there and her teacher is someone she has known her whole life, and her best friend Brady is in the class with her. She informed me this morning that her and Brady killed a turtle with a metal bat but next time Brady asks for the bat she isn't going to give it to him. My 5 year old girl killed a turtle with a bat...seriously!! What in the world???? And what in the world do we have to look forward to????

Bailey spent the night with NeNe and Jerry Friday night and Sid and I went to the Philly Jamboree because I had to sell tickets. It was a nice change of pace for us and we slept in yesterday morning, so we were draggy all day long. I guess from too much sleep but Sid went on to the races last night and Bay and I got some much need "girl" time. Well, really she was out by 7 but it was still nice. We have bee heaterns this morning and skipped out on church, even though I was supposed to start back singing in the choir. I have a head full of yucky snot and Sid didn't get in til way way late.

And in other Bailey news, she finally got that second bottom tooth to pop through sometime last week. She was really restles and didn't want to eat for about 2 days but now she seems to be doing better. I swear by those teething tablets. They do just as good to me as loading her up on tylenol when she has some teething pain. If you haven't tried them with your wee one yet, you should!

I hope everyone has a great one in the week that lies ahead. I'll try to post of pictures of my Bailey Boo soon!!!

No comments: