Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Victory Over Myself

Tonight I'm tired!  But the sleep likely won't come.  So as I read a things out of the Bible, I wanted to journal some scripture that I'd like to remember.

I am poor and needy, yet the Lord thinks about me. Pslam 40:17   Isn't it a wonderful feeling that sometimes we have nothing, figuratively speaking, but God still thinks about us as and gives us mercy!

If I do what I "will" not to do, this is the sin that dwells in me.  Romans 7:20  We know right from wrong, we "will" things in our hearts and head that we WILL NOT do, but when we then turn and do them, for then we have sinned.  If we "will" ourselves not to do things, then why do we do it anyway?  Any answers on that one Pap-Paw?

Have mercy on me, for I am weak.  Heal me, for my bones are troubled.  Pslam 6:2  God's mercy is an amazing thing and they are new every morning.  He heals us when we are broken if we only allow him inside to do so.

In my distress I called out to the Lord and cried out to my God.  He heard my voice from the temple, and my cry came before him, even to His ears.  Pslams 8:6  Do you hear that friends?  Our distress, our  need for healing, our cries for help go straight to the ear of God himself and he does not turn away. 

I have come as a light into the world, that whoever abides in my should not abibe in darkness.  John 12:46  What an amazing gift God has given every one of us.  He gives us His light to outshine the darkenss.

Of course this didn't come out of the Bible, but note worthy none the less!  I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies, for the hardest victory is the victory over self. -Aristotle

You  know,  when we forget we are loved and we forget that Christ himself has gone before us to atone for our sins, when we think that we are bigger than THAT, we've done nothing but give into our own desires and our self and forgot all that HE has blessed us with.  But when we remember that we are not alone, we are loved and that God loves us so much that that blood was shed, we can overcome ourselves and "self" desires.  Did God say it was easy?  I'm not sure what he actually said on the matter, but I can speak from personal experience that it is not easy.  The road in life, no matter what your road, is bound to have a few sharp curves, steep hills and road blocks along the way. Nobody's life is perfect, and if someone tells you their's is, they are lying.  When we try to act bigger than God and handle these things ourselves, it's not good.  I don't know about you, but I for one need to remember how loved and blessed I am and how much has been given on my behalf so that I can look to the Jesus who breathed the very life into me to help me over come my worldly desires and victory over myself!

I think I just might be able to catch a little sleep now!

No comments: