Saturday, August 30, 2008

Dum Di Dum....

We have a name for this sweet baby girl! Let me preface this blog post by saying that I made it through the K's of the baby name book that Sid's cousin Amy gave us. But none of those names we read there really stuck for either one of us. Since this is probably the only child that Sid and I will have, rather she had been a boy or girl, I wanted a name that meant something to both of us, a family name if you will. And I didn't want some cute little name for a new born that would be dumb when she became a smart, educated, first-class little lady that we pray and hope she will aspire to be. From the beginning I knew I wanted to use Ellen as the middle name, which is Maggie's middle name. (my baby sister, for those of you who might not know) We had originally talked about Sidney Ellen, but Sid and I both felt like she'd end up being called Sid and one Sid is enough.

So....one day my dad mentioned that his grandfather's name, my Pap-paw Self's daddy, who is my great grandfather, was John Bailey and Sid and I both instantly liked that. So we thought about Bailey for several weeks and in the meantime, I came up with Annemarie Ellen. My middle name is Anne, mom's middle name is Marie, and Maggie's middle name is Ellen. But Sid didn't really like Annemarie Ellen Whitehead, he said it was too long and it sounded like too many names. Maggie agreed with him. So I finally told Sid that I liked them both and gave him the option and he decided he liked Bailey Ellen. He's called the baby Bailey several time in conversation, which is more than I could bring myself to do, so last night I quizzed him, and indeed he is serious about liking the name Bailey.

So....Bailey Ellen Whitehead she will be. I hope she likes her name. And it's sweet to hear Sid call her Bailey.

This brings me to my second thought....Mom got a new sewing/monograming machine that she's been going to classes in Homewood for so she can learn how to use it. She says she bought tons of things to monogram but she'd just have to put Baby Girl Whitehead on everything since we couldn't come up with a name. I asked for advice on which did she like, but I don't guess she wanted to influence our decesion so she didn't comment. But Mom, now, you have no excuse. We have a name and initials and Bailey can't wait to see what her Mimi can do!!!!

We shall not leave Bailey's Poppy T out of the post either. He has a new guitar that Mom got him and had his first guitar lesson today. When I called to see if he learned how to play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, he said all he learned today was that he had the guitar strap on backwards. I, of course, found this hilarious. But I think it's so awesome that Mom got him a guitar and he's actually interested in learning how to play. Maybe he'll play us a song at Bailey's baptism or something. Or maybe I should shoot for Happy Birthday at her 1st Birthday Party. What do you think Poppy T???

And since this post has turned into a novel, what about Gustav? It appears that after people here have gone through Katrina, they aren't playing around with this hurricane. I've never been through one before so I don't really know how to react or feel. I know I had tons of questions at the daycare about what we will do, but I don't really know what we will do. I guess we'll have to wait and see but the situation isn't looking good for Mississipi, Lousianna, and Texas. And how those little islands and Cuba continue to take hits like they do form these storms and survive is beyond me. It's scary, if you stop to let yourself dwell too long on the subject.

Sid's gone to the races with his Dad and NeNe called to see if I was up for an outing, but I've enjoyed my day at home doing nothing. I wish I was in Alabama, I miss everyone so bad, but I just couldn't take the risk of spreading whatever this is all the way over there too. I'm sure Sid and I will get out and do something together either tomorrow or Monday. But for now, I have a new book, which my wonderful husband picked out for me at Wal-Mart earlier today. He's so good, he can even pick out books he knows I like to read. He did that AND made homemade fried apple pies this morning. What more could a girl want???

No comments: