Thursday, September 4, 2008

Hello Blogging World

Not much to report but I thought I'd take some time to post for you avid readers out there.

I can say one thing. God bless the church office. My eyes have surely been opened since come to work at Philly FUMC. I don't know if we have this in Alabama or not, but in Mississippi the Methodist church uses the Wesley Foundation (I know we have that in Alabama) to let people who need assistance apply for monies to help make house payments and bills and such. They have a system in place so that you can not just walk in off the street and ask for money and get it. You have to show proof that you have some income and where the money will go that you are asking for. So that's a good thing. The daycare center is located in the same building as the church office and sanctuary. My office is not far from the church office so from time to time I get folks in my office asking for assistance or prayer. When I first started it would throw me off a little because it was something I wasn't used to. More on that later. Today, the church office happens to be closed because they have all gone to a funeral. Soooo, I just got my eyes FULL of some ladies droopy boobies in a see-through dress who wanted help making a house payment. I was so stunned at the dress she had on and the lack there-of of anything underneath that I'm sure I looked and sounded like a blubbering fool. Put some clothes on lady, is what I wanted to say. But God reminds me why I'm not the church secretary and someone else is I suppose. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm glad there is a system in place for help, but geesh, put some clothes on.

One day, right after I started working here, a lady came in and went on and on about needing help and such and sometimes you can't tell if they want help with childcare or what, because most of the time they drag their children in with them, because who can say no to the sweet children? But anyway, she finally asked for prayer, and me, not being accustomed to that, said, "Oh, mam, this is the daycare office, you are looking for the church office. Let me show you where it is." Now, first of all, no one told me that there is a steady stream of people going to and from the church office and occasionally they'd mistake my office for theirs. BUT, in hind sight, I could have prayed with the lady and instead I ushered her "to someone who could help her." Again, the reason why I'm not the church secretary. I had to tell God I was sorry on that one!

Anywhoo, an update on the infection. It is/was staff and I'm taking medicine for it. The doctors have assured me it's safe and all is well. I go for my monthly Sept. 9th, so I'll know more about the actual status of it then.

The Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Circus is in Jackson this weekend and I want to go so bad, but it's Sid's weekend to work so it doesn't look like we'll be able to make it. I'll probably make a trip to Alabama if Sid has to work all weekend. I've been feeling extra good for the most part, so I think I'll be fine to drive that far alone. We'll see!!!

No comments: