Thursday, December 25, 2008

Bailey Ellen Whitehead

***UPDATE 8:00 p.m. Sid just called for an update and apparently the neonatologist didn't like Bailey's gas reading at 6:00. He ordered for the vent to be replaced. When they replaced the vent she got upset, as she usually does, so they are not turning her levels down anymore tonight. They will remain at what they were when we checked earlier and they did have to give her some the medication to help her rest that they had hoped they would discontinue today. Bailey's like her mama. She doesn't like anyone messing with her, poking tubes down her throat, then she gets all upset and can't calm herself down. They have to just stop the progress and let Bailey get control and then they'll move forward. I'll update when we update again.

Bailey was born Monday, December 22, at 2:32 p.m. She weighed 6 pounds and was 18 1/2 inches long. My blood pressure shot up Monday right before lunch and I had signs of pre-eclampsia. After about a 20 minute observation in L and D, the doctor decided it was best for me and Bailey that I deliver. We arrived at the hospital around 11:00 a.m. and 3 1/2 hours later Bailey was born by c-section. Although 6 pounds and 18 1/2 inches sounds like a full term baby, or not sounding like she was too early, she is considered a pre-mature baby. Bailey's lungs were not ready to operate on their own, so she has been in the NICU since birth on the ventalator. She had one big set back this week, but rebounded nicely and should be off the vent. by tomorrow, which is Friday. She obviously was much better off outside of me than still inside and as the doctor said, the only way to fix pre-eclampsia is to deliver the baby.

I was discharged today, but the hospital is letting us keep our prime time room right outside the nurses station until Monday free of charge. That is just so awesome. For the time being, we are at home for the night to get some much needed rest. At this point, Bailey doesn't like being touched or to hear loud voices, so we can't visit for long periods of time. We plan to be back at the hospital by 9:00 in the morning to converse with the neo-doctor and hopefully she'll come off that vent. We'll still have a tough road ahead of us even after she comes off the vent.

Right now, we appreciate all the phone calls, visits, and especially the prayers. Our little girl is a fighte and that's the main reason why she has come so far. I'll update this as we have new information.

No comments: