Thursday, May 29, 2008

Gosh this is so confusing.

So yesterday at the doctor's office, after the ultra sound and the blood work, Dr. Jordan looks at me and asks if I've decided which OB I want to go with. WHAT???, I say, YOU AREN'T AN OB??? Oh, yes I am, I just don't deliver babies anymore. Gee, that would have been a nice fact to know, oh, about 2 weeks ago maybe. So, here I am 6 weeks pregnant and in a foreign land, where everything that I've ever know is unfamiliar and you want me to pick out yet another new doctor. I just told him to refer me to one of his partners.

This morning, the new doctor, Dr. Acosta, had his nurse call me so we could go over some questions. It seems that they have now thrown in the "any previous history of autism" into the question pile. Of course there's no history of autism, but being the Barbie that I am, I find that very interesting. She also told me that when they draw blood and do the screening for anything and everything under the sun, they will be looking for that as well. I'm not sure when all this slipped up, but I wasn't aware they were screening for autism prenatally now. And again, I find this very interesting. There isn't a history of anything but twins in either my or Sid's family (except for one case and it isn't his immediate family), and we know we don't have twins. But it still makes you uneasy when they are asking about Down's and CHD and neural tube defects and cystic fibrosis, and etc. etc. etc.

It's just all so confusing and I wish I didn't have to go back so soon. But it looks as if I'll be going back June 10th. The nice nurse assured me that after that exam, it will only be tummy checks.

The nausea hasn't let up any. I thought for sure it was the prenatal vitamins but that doesn't seem to be it. I went to bed at 7:00 p.m. last night and poor Sid had to camp out in the rest of the house. But at 12:30 a.m. I was wide awake, on the couch, fighting off this feeling. I was praying to just throw up, but it didn't happen and at about 3:30 a.m. I was able to go back to bed and slept until 9:00 this morning. At least I got some sleep.

No comments: