Sunday, May 4, 2008

The Sound of Music

This afternoon Ne Ne (my mother-in-law), Kylie (my sister-in-law) and Mammie (Sid's grandmother) all went to see the musical "The Sound of Music" put on my the Philadelphia Neshoba County Arts Committee (or some name like that). Ne Ne thought it might be next weekend but found out last night that today would be the last day for it, as it had been playing at an old theater in downtown Philly all week long. So we decided to go and it was GREAT for a hometown kind of play. It lasted about three hours, so it was kind of lengthy. But it was so good and had the same feeling of being at the BJCC for big Broadway Series plays like "Annie". But the good thing was we didn't have to fight the big crowd that comes along with Broadway Series plays at the BJCC. So I enjoyed my Sunday afternoon so much.

When I got home, I had to tend to some flowers that appear to be dying on me for no apparent reason. Sid got me some good potting soil and Miracle Grow and he painted our generic green plastic flower pots with some cool spray paint for plastic. He filled one planter up with a mixture of potted flowers and then I get to make mine with the left overs. We'll see who's wins the "fav award" from some unsuspecting family member or friend that stops by. haha!

I got a few more really good emails over the weekend that I wanted to share but I don't want to share them all at once b/c I'm sure everyone will get tired of reading. I'll post one here, that I believe came from my grandfather. It's called "When Your Hut Is On Fire" and really really good. So read and enjoy and may God bless you wherever you are!

The only survivor of a shipwreck was washed up on a small, uninhabited island. He prayed feverishly for God to rescue him. Every day he scanned the horizon for help, but none seemed forthcoming. Exhausted, he eventually managed to build a little hut out of driftwood to protect him from the elements, and to store his few possessions.

One day, after scavenging for food, he arrived home to find his little hut in flames, with smoke rolling up to the sky. He felt the worst had happened, and everything was lost. He was stunned with disbelief, grief, and anger. He cried out, 'God! How could you do this to me?'

Early the next day, he was awakened by the sound of a ship approaching the island! It had come to rescue him! 'How did you know I was here?' asked the weary man of his rescuers. 'We saw your smoke signal,' they replied.

The Moral of This Story: It's easy to be discouraged when things are going badly, but we shouldn't lose heart, because God is at work in our lives, even in the midst of our pain and suffering.

Remember that the next time your little hut seems to be burning to the ground. It just may be a smoke signal that summons the Grace of God.

No comments: