Sunday, January 31, 2010

January 31, 2010

I almost wanted to title this post "The 3 AM Preacher" and thinking about it now I probably should have.  But today at Lester Memorial United Methodist Church the Rev. Ed Self and the Rev. Bert Goodwin were honored.  I didn't get many pictures and wish now that I had gotten at a different spot in the sanctuary in order to get better pictures so that Pappaw could have some.  But what I got will have to do.  And even so, there is no way I can do today justice. 

First, the mayor and city council men made a proclamation that today, January 31, 2010, will forever be Ed Self and Bert Goodwin day.  Thats Bert and the Mayor of Oneonta on the left and Pappaw and the city council man on the right.

The choir sang several songs in honor of Bert and Pappaw that were some of their favorites - There's Something About That Name and Sweet Beulah Land.


Next, Pappaw and Bert were given flags that were flown over the capital in Washington D.C.  Here, in the picture above, Mr. Ellis is holding one that that they were given. 


Here is a picture of one of them receiving the flag, but I couldn't see which one.  An example of why I should have been in a different spot.

Don Rayfield wrote and read a poem about the two men in which I wish to obtain a copy of.  It was humerous and serious all at the same time! 

There was also a State of Alabama Resolution made.  Sid and I can't remember exactly what it said, there was soooo much, and at one point I had wished I was taking notes.  But whatever the resolution said, here is a picture of the two of them receiving it.


They were presented by the current pastors at Lester Memorial.

Bishop J. Lloyd Knox spoke and gave a tribute to Pappaw and Bert.  Parts of his speech made me cry.  But what followed next was quite possibly the most touching part of the entire service.  Celia Ellis stood and gave a tribute to the wives of these great men.  And of course this means she talked about my Mammaw.  I did not know this, but my grandmother did not have her college education when she married my pappaw and not only did she get her bachelor's and master's, but had hours towards her doctorate.  This makes me want mine even more!  There is no way I can recap everything that Mrs. Ellis had to say, but it brought tears to my eyes to hear everything about these two wonderful women.  I sure wish my Mammaw could have been there to see Pappaw be honored in this way.  He was nervous and excited all at one time and she would have taken great delight in seeing all the kind things being said about my Pappaw.  She probably would have had her own things to say, too! 

And finally, Pappaw and Bert took the stage!!



Bert first and then Pappaw.



The service was continued in the Fellowship Hall with a potluck lunch and even more honors received.  I didn't get any pictures of these things because we were packed in there like crazy and Bailey was eating off of my plate and it was just wild.  But a lady presented them both with Methodist Cross and Flame symbol that she made from stain glass.  It was a beautiful piece of art and I intend to get a picture of it.  As if a proclamation naming January 31, 2010 Bert and Ed day, and as if flags flown over a nation's capital wasn't enough, and if some sort of Alabama Resolution wasn't enough, and as if the Bishop speaking about their works and Mrs. Ellis honoring the two women wasn't enough, Bert and Pappaw were honored by learning that their names had been recorded at the National Cathedral in Washington D.C.  If you've never been to that site, I encouarage you to visit it.  I just visited it for the first time and to be associated with such a place of God would have to feel like a dream. 

Which brings me to the closing of such a wonderful day.  I did not know when we set out on this weekend towards Oneonta that today was going to be so so very special.  But as it turns out, there are many many people in this world who think just as much of my Pappaw as I do.  And Bert too!  Oh, and why the 3 AM preacher?  If you know my Pappaw you know that he goes to bed early and rises before the sun.  Now, that doesn't mean she doesn't nap some during the day in his favorite spot, his recliner - but as long as I have known him, he's alwasy been up early like that.  Well, today while the Bishop was speaking about him he told the story about how when Pappaw was district superintendent he'd call the preachers at 3 AM that didn't have their reports turned in on time.  I don't know about you, but that would make me get mine in extra early.  Even so, Pappaw you know we love you!  I can only hope to be half the person that you are or that my Mammaw was.  And I can only hope to raise Bailey to be half the person that you have raised my daddy to be.  You are a man unlike any other that I know and if ever there was one man I could always count on to love me and to pray for me like I need to be prayed for - it is you!  We love you so much and I take such great delight in knowing you are able to watch me be a mother to Bailey.  Here's to many many people that love you and adore you and to many many more years of you continuing to love and pray over us!!!!!!!

I couldn't leave this out.  We got there extra early so we could all sit together. Well, Andrew and Bailey did NOT like sharing Mimi!


There were grabbing each other's faces and then Mimi had to get onto them!




We were trying to get a picture of Erin, Andrew and Bailey with Mimi but it just wasn't happening.  Look how much bigger Andrew is than Bailey.  And he's a whole 9 weeks younger.  His feet are huge.  Chris says his shoes were a size 4 but I don't believe it!


Finally, everyone cooperated!

I hope to have circus pictures up tomorrow night.  I knew the 3 AM preacher would be up and ready for something along these lines bright and early on Monday morning!  He is most faithful (est??) follower after all!  Oh, and I didn't go to school to learn how to teach English.  That would be my Mammaw!!!!

WE LOVE YOU PAPPAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS:  The choir sang this verse from an old favortie of mine to the two men:  Thank you for giving to the Lord.  I am a life that was changed.  Thank you for giving to the Lord.  I am so glad you gave.  WE are so glad you gave!!!  Glad indeed men!!!

No comments: